Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"I don't like cottage cheese."


I hear the above quote a lot.

Young athletes always ask me what they should be eating on a daily basis, and inevitably I will mutter cottage cheese. You would think I was telling them to eat battery acid from a car based upon some of the reactions I get.

I’m going to make this simple: as an athlete you will come to a point in the very near future when you will eat dirt if it meant that it would help you get better in your respective sport. If it means drinking cottage cheese through a straw, then so be it.

The same can be said for those who are just looking to shed some fat and look good naked. The sooner you accept the fact that there are certain “staple” foods that you should be eating everyday, the better off you will be. Ask any person who is already lean, and I can guarantee you (s)he is eating certain foods everyday: cottage cheese, lots of fruits and vegetables, chicken breast, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, lean red meat, mixed nuts, etc. It’s just the way it is. Suck it up buttercup and eat your damn cottage cheese.

2 comments:

hak said...

For what it's worth, I couldn't stand cottage cheese...or canned tuna either. But, like you said, I needed to up my protein intake so I cowboyed up and can now eat tuna straight out the can.

Cottage cheese was tougher. What helped me get over that taste hump was to mix a bit of low-fat fruit-flavored yogurt (Yoplait) with the cottage cheese. It may add more carbs, but it's a pretty good taste combo.

finboy said...

On workout days, I eat cottage cheese with watermelon and/or cantaloupe. Tastes great! For less carbs, I'll just add vanilla protein powder and a small teaspoon of peanut butter. This is great daytime or pre-bed snack.

Mmmmm...cottage cheese...