Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Most Under-rated Exercise?



Point blank. It's the pull-through. Quite honestly, I feel it's a movement that EVERYONE should perform, yet I look around and the only people who do them are myself and the clients whom I work with. Why is it such an under-rated and under used exercise? One reason could be the fact that one looks as if they're humping an elephant while peforming it. But I feel the main culprit is that it's almost too simple of an exercise.

Ask any "hardcore" gym rat what movements he or she performs in the gym and you're apt to hear squats, deadlifts, lunges, pull-ups, bench press, or various rows. Very rarely do you hear the pull-through getting any love outside of the powerlifting ranks.

Lets look at the reasons why I feel it's such a valuable movement.

1. First and foremost I like it to teach people how keep a neutral back and to learn to dissociate their hips from their lumbar spine.

2. Secondly, there is little to no external load on the spine. I am able to train client's posterior chain without putting any additional stress on their lumbar spine. PERFECT for people who have a history of back pain.

3. Thirdly. What woman doesn't want a firm behind? Pull-throughs hammer the glutes like no other movement.

I am surprised that more trainers or trainees do not utilize this movement more.

No comments: