Thursday, April 19, 2007

No Excuses

I'm going to cut right to the chase. I just started training a 60 year old woman about 5 weeks ago. Upon first meeting with me, she made it a point in telling me that she was in fact...a 60 year old woman and that "I am not expecting miracles." Long story short, when we met for the first time, she was making excuses as to why she felt she could never get into better shape.

Well, 5 weeks later, she is down a little over 10 lbs and has lost two percent body fat. She's doing rack pulls, step-ups, push-ups, rows, DB presses, and best of all......she is NEVER late for a session and is one of the hardest working clients I have right now. Essentially, she's kicking ass.......did I mention she is 60? In five weeks, she has gone from someone who questioned whether or not she should even be in the gym to someone who is "hooked."

Listen, don't be that person who makes excuses. If you walk into a gym for the first time with a defeated attitude.....well, I can only expect that you will fail. I won't stand for it with my clients and nor should you from yourself. Have faith in yourself and give yourself some credit for peets sake!

All in all, I just wanted to bring light to the fact that CONSISTENCY and DEDICATION (and an awesome trainer....yay me) can go a loooong ways as far as progress is concerned. Don't make excuses. It's lame.

Also, on a totally unrelated note: my new favorite "thing" is canned pumpkin. Lately, I have been using it as a post-training meal and it's just scrumptious. Only 9 grams of carbs (4 of which are fiber) per serving. Add some vanilla Metabolic Drive to it and 1/2 cup of oatmeal and you have yourself a high protein, complex carb/high fiber snack.

No comments: