Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Q: I must first say that I am a complete novice when it comes to fat
loss. I was just wondering if there really is a need to change one's
program for fat loss? I am following the Precision Nutrition guidelines, and keeping
to at least 90% compliance. I'm trying to drop about 5-8lbs of fat to
get myself down to my weight class. (I had been on a rather
aggressive clean bulk, before I knew better).

Anyway I was wondering, is there a need to use a program more focused
on fat loss (assuming I am on a caloric deficit). Or can I
achieve the same effect by staying on my current programming (I'm
currently using a westside-like template), with the same caloric
deficit?

I'm asking this also because I hear a lot that fat loss is achieved
with proper nutrition. But if this is so, then why is there a need
for many experts to develop specific fat-loss programs?

A:

Here's a direct quote from Alwyn Cosgrove:

"There's pretty much nothing that can be done to out-train a crappy diet. You quite simply have to create a caloric deficit while eating enough protein and essential fats. There's no way around this. Several trainers have espoused that the only difference between training for muscle gain and training for fat loss is your diet. I think that's a massive oversimplification, but it does reinforce how important and effective correct nutrition is toward your ultimate goal."

I couldn't agree more with Alwyn (like that's a big surprise). I tell ALL my clients that if fat loss is their goal, they CAN NOT out train a piss poor diet. You HAVE to provide some form of caloric deficit to lose fat. I would say that upwards of 80% of fat loss will be a direct result of your nutrition.

That being said, it IS a massive oversimplication to say that the only difference between training for muscle gain and training for fat loss is one's diet. So what we're trying to say is that a 300 lb powerlifter who needs to lose a bit of fat to make weight (but keep his lifts up) and a 175 lb weekend warrior who's trying to get up to 190 lbs are going to be training the same way, it's just their diet that's different? That's absurd.

All in all, if you're fat, you're fat. Using a more "advanced" program for fat loss will not speed up the fat loss process. I think someone in your situation (who is only looking to lose 5-8 lbs of fat, and has a bit more training experience) something like Alwyn's programs would work. Shoot, I would just throw in a few complexes at the end of your training session or some added med ball circuits/sprints and I am sure you could drop the fat quickly. But yes, nutrition IS fairly important


1 comment:

Goi said...

How would you explain the results of Dr Jon Berardi with his G-Flux theory then? He had several athletes eat more than they did in the past and yet managed to lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time?

Also, wouldn't hormonal manipulation be high up on the list as well?