Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Does It Ever Just "Click?"


I got an e-mail the other day from another personal trainer asking me if there was ever a point in my career where everything just "clicked" and came together. To quote him:

"For example, my first year = shitty training programs/no confidence, second yr = more understanding of program design, still a little unsure, this year = I feel it's beginning to come together, more confidence in program design, a certain quiet confidence (still humble, though). I think all the best in the business have a constant hunger for knowledge and a quiet confidence about them, they just get "IT", hopefully I'm on the right path for "IT".

I look back when I started in this industry (2002) and I cringe. The funny thing is, I THOUGHT I knew everything there was to know about strength and conditioning back then. Come to find out, I didn't know squat. Literally and figuratively. I was still very much a newbie. My programming sucked my first year in the industry; I am scared to admit that I was the “lets set you up on a machine circuit” guy. I didn’t even know what a deadlift was for crying out loud. Boooooooooo Tony.

To be honest, there are STILL times where I think I am the dumbest person on earth. I can look back as far as six months ago and shake my head in disbelief at some of the stuff I advocated or tried out with my clients. But you learn as you go. Trial and error, right? I mean if Mike Boyle can admit that he is wrong from time to time after 20+ years in the industry, I think anyone who claims they know it all is a pompous asshole.

I think the key to success in this industry is a constant thirst for knowledge. I have said this several times and it bears (or is it bares?) repeating…continuing education is crucial. Read and attend seminars; surround yourself with like minded individuals. If you do this, you WILL succeed.

It’s hard to believe that when I first started, I didn’t even know that places like t-nation.com or various other sites existed. I didn’t know who John Berardi, Alwyn Cosgrove or Mike Boyle were. And I think Eric Cressey was still trying to grow facial hair back then…;o)

Fast forward 5 years.

  1. I am now writing for t-nation.com on a regular basis, as well as other various sites.
  2. I have been fortunate enough to be asked to contribute to several e-books and manuals.
  3. I work at one of the top clubs in the country.
  4. And in a “I have kinda made it” moment: John Berardi, Alwyn Cosgrove and Mike Boyle all know who I am. I know this because Alwyn and Mike like to bust my chops about my little infatuation with Jennifer Garner.


The point is, I had a constant thirst for knowledge. I ALWAYS want to better myself as a trainer. I never want to be medicore. In essence, it will take time…but I do feel that everyone will get to the point where things just start to click. BUT, you have to learn from your mistakes as you go.


Quiet confidence….I like that.




No comments: