Thursday, June 7, 2007

How to warm-up


Q. What's the best way to utilize warm up sets in a program? How many do you do and do you need to do them at the start of each exercise or just for the bigger movements or just for the initial exercises/movement patterns? Also, how do you account for time when working them in? I've read alot of stuff on program design and almost all of it seems to totally ignore the time required for warm up sets and just focus on filling up the hour with working sets. So drawing from your experience, what is the best way to implement warm up sets in a program and especially in a program with tight time restrictions?

A. Lets break this one down piece by piece:

But first lets talk about a general warm-up. Watch most people "warm-up" and you will see them hop on the stationary bike or treadmill for five minutes and then do a few static stretches and they're off on their way. WRONG! This is a very archaic and inefficient way to warm-up.

Hopefully by now, people have caught on to the fact that following a DYNAMIC WARM-UP is far superior and prepares the body for movement to a much greater degree. If you aren't doing dynamic flexibility drills prior to training, you're really doing yourself a disservice.

On to the actual question:

How do you utilize warm-up sets in a program? How many do you do and do you need them at the start of each exercise or just for the bigger movements or just for the initial movement patterns?

***My rule of thumb is to basically use a few (2-4) warm-up sets for the initial exercise of the day. So if a client of mine was squatting, I would have him/her "warm-up" for a few sets to groove the pattern and to prepare the nervous system for the loading that is about to come. The key to warm-up sets is to NOT make them working sets. A lot of people make the mistake of doing 3 sets of 10 for their warm-up sets, and then when they finally get to their working sets, they are already fatigued. Lets use an example. This particular client worked with 185 lbs for 4x6 the last time we did squats.

Bar x whatever (groove the pattern)
95x5
115x3
135x3

The goal is to make each warm-up set progressively heavier to prepare the client for the loads that he/she will be using during their working sets. And there is very little rest in between warm-up sets. Essentially, it should be do the set, rest for the amount of time it takes to switch plates, do the next set, etc. From there, they should be good to go and move on to their working sets. Why it takes some people 20 minutes to warm-up is beyond me.

Since I tend to use mostly full-body routines with the majority of my clients, I may need to throw in a few warm-up sets with some exercises later on, but like I mentioned above it's moreso to "groove the pattern" and prepare the body for heavier loads. And usually by this time, it's just a matter of maybe ONE warm-up set using a light load and then get right to it.

So drawing from your experience, what is the best way to implement warm up sets in a program and especially in a program with tight time restrictions?

Use them mainly for the BIG movements (squat/deadlift/bench variations) and be efficient. Don't pussy-foot around. We're only talking 2-4 sets max here, and they're quick. Even for time restricted clients, warm-up sets ARE necessary. [NOTE: if we're talking about max effort work here, then how we approach warm-up sets is entirely different, but I think most know that already.]

3 comments:

office exercises said...

Awesome reply Tony. Thanks so much! Cleared up a ton of stuff for me.

Could you outline your approach to max effort work as well please? Is it similar to what you would do to test a 1RM, such as (warning: oversimplified method coming up :-)) performing 3-5 reps, resting 2 minutes, adding more weight, performing 3-5 reps etc until you reach your max?

Thanks again so much Tony. Absolutely love the blog, keep up the amazing work!

Tony Gentilcore said...

Hey Yudi,

I guess it depends. If I am working with a COMPLETE newbie, I am almost hesitant to even worry about finding out what their 1RM is. Come to think of it, I don't think I have tested a 1RM in a newbie in forever. All they really need is to get their reps in, ya know?

I'd be more inclined to test their 3RM and just use reps to get them stronger and more efficient with the movements in general.

If I am dealing with someone a bit more advanced and some training years under their belt, then I am more inclined to just work up to some heavy triples and then work up to their 1RM from there? So for instance:

Someone's best bench is 250, here is how I would approach their next session:

Bar x whatever (get the groove)
135x5
185x3
205x3
225x3
255x1 (new PR)

***From there I would still get a few more singles above 90% in.

245x1,1,1

Then we move on to their accessory work.

Rest in between sets would probably be atleast 90-120 seconds, but honestly I leave it up to them. If they feel ready, then I let it rip. If you go to t-nation, I wrote an article titled "The Rule of 90%." Might be something you would be interested in reading.

And thanks for the kind words. Glad I am able to shed some light on a few things.

office exercises said...

Thanks so so much Tony. This advice is tremendously helpful to me. I really appreciate someone with your expertise taking their time to help out a new fish like me.

I'm a religious reader of your blog man, so these last few days with no entry have been killing me! Keep on updating it please, the more the better! I can't tell you how much I've learned just from reading this blog.